Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Silver lining

Yesterday morning was a bit of a struggle for me.  I had gotten to bed later than usual and slept rather poorly.  N, having a sixth sense for when Mommy really needs the extra sleep, got up at 6. Just for context, he rarely gets up before 7:30.

It was very tempting to just let him stay in his crib for awhile, but the previous day he had had a bout of vomiting in the car (and boy was THAT fun) so I went to check on him in case he was sick.  He was just fine, didn't even need a diaper change.  So I rocked him back to sleep on my shoulder, put him back in the crib, and went back to bed.  I'd barely gotten my side of the bed warmed back up before he was crying again.  Efforts to repeat the earlier strategy did not go well, plus it was really cold in his room.  Being quite tired still, and it being quite early in the morning still (for me), we snuggled up on the couch with a warm blanket and both went back to sleep. I'm not exactly sure what time Z got up since I couldn't see any clocks from my nest, but when he tired of playing in his room by himself he ventured out.  Then, and I don't know why he did this since it certainly isn't his routine, he went into N's room and shut the door.  Silence for about a minute, then the door opens again as he says, "oh, not in THERE."  I can only presume that he saw some evidence that I'd already been up, and expected to find me in N's room.  He came down the hall and saw me on the couch, laughed, then came over and got under the blanket with me and little brother. At this point N was awake again and started getting all bubbly and giggly and happy to be alive.  He reached over and touched Z's face, and when N touched his nose Z said "Nose!" just like we did when HE was that age.  He said "Eye!" when N poked him in the eye, and "Mouth!" when poked on the lips.  Both of them were giggling like mad people the whole time.  And all of this was happening while I had one child in each arm, snuggled up under a blanket on the couch.

Getting up at 6 was TOTALLY worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment