Friday, March 30, 2012

For Grammy

The bedtime routine for N usually involves a bottle of milk, given to him in his room with the lights out, with the hope that it will help him settle down to sleep.  Lately he's been having a fairly large amount of milk as part of a fairly late dinner, so last night and tonight I put him to bed without the milk, just some snuggles with Mommy in the rocker before being laid in the crib.

It would appear that this is not a good idea.  Last night (this morning?) he woke up at 4:15 am and wouldn't settle down from the banshee screaming until provided a cold beverage.  Tonight he woke up just an hour after being put down, with all the indicators pointing to a similar outcome, so I took a bottle into his room to try and get him settled.  Now, I don't turn on any lights when I go in his room at night...I prefer that he not wake up that much, and I rarely actually NEED more light than what comes in from under the door and behind the curtain.  So it was quite perplexing to me tonight, when I settled him in my lap with his bottle, to see several parallel strips of light showing on my chest.  I was looking all around, trying to figure out where this beam of light was coming from, was it a reflection on the bottle, what on earth is going on here?!?!??  Finally I moved a finger off the bottle into the area of the light to try and get a direction on it, and discovered the source.  My son, lover of all things spherical, had spirited a spirit into his crib with him at bedtime.  There, clutched tightly in the fingers of the hand resting on my chest, was a glow-in-the-dark ping-pong ball, still going strong an hour after the light was turned off.

So thank you, Grammy, for providing the toy that both freaked me out and gave me a good laugh, all at the same time.  I owe you one.

1 comment:

  1. You're welcome!
    When I put him down for his nap on Wednesday, I had to pry to wooden beads from his hands, so I'm not too surprised!
    Reading it brought tears to MY eyes from laughing, too. Thank YOU. You don't owe me!

    ReplyDelete